Types of Trailers You Can Choose From
When your car breaks down, tow trucks come in to rescue your day. What often goes unnoticed is that a tow truck is a trailer. Trailer is an unpowered vehicle that is towed by a powered vehicle. In the most obvious cases, these are used for transportation of different construction materials, or in some cases, goods such as cars. They are also used as mobile homes for recreational value. In modern industrial life, trailers are the most important equipment present. Most of the construction work is done by them. There are many types of these, such as Lowboy, Double Drop, heavy haul, refrigerated and so on. Each of them has different abilities in handling loads and freights. Let’s have a look.
5 Types of Trailers Suitable For Different Purposes:
There are different types of trailers, each being unique than the other. Each has different specifications. The dimension and the capacity to carry weight differs from one trailer to another.
- Flatbed Trailer: A flatbed trailer is very popular and can be used for different activities like loading freights and other goods on their sides, tips and the rear. It is because of these specifications that they have become trucking industry’s most crucial assets. They weigh around 48000 pounds and have a maximum freight length of around 48 ft to 53 ft. A maximum of the flatbed trailer has a width of 8.5 feet, whereas the maximum legal height is 8.5 feet. It is mostly used to haul flat and coiled steel.
- Dry Van and Enclosed Trailer: This is mostly an enclosed trailer used to carry freights and protect them from harmful elements such as coarse weather conditions, roads and so on. Freights are loaded with the help of loading docks into this closed trailer. It is akin to curtain vans and can be loaded or unloaded from the sides as well. Legal weight besides proportions of dry van includes a maximum weight of 42000 lbs to 45000 lbs. The Dry van maximum freight dimension length can be about 48 ft to 53 ft. Its width varies from 8.3 ft, while the maximum height may roughly be 8 ft.
- Refrigerator Trailer: These trailers are temperature controlled often used to store chilled and frozen products like dairy products, ice creams, etc. The temperature inside can be altered even though the weather outside is hot. Their dimensions are different than others. They have a maximum length of 48 ft to 53 ft. The maximum width of these trailers is 8.1 ft. and the maximum height is 8 ft.
- Step Deck Trailer: These trailers are very popular and can be seen frequently in one’s vicinity carrying new cars, and they are used mostly for carrying heavy materials like freights which should not be carried on a standardized flatbed trailer. The maximum height of a Step deck Trailer is about 48ft to 53 ft, whereas the maximum step deck width is 8.5 ft and the maximum permitted freight height is approximately 10 ft.
- Extendable Flatbed Stretch Trailer: These are often popular as flatbed stretch kinds. These are mostly used for transporting weights and loads and freights that cannot be transported by standard trailer. This kind of trailer provides the most support to the load and freight that they carry. The maximum weight of these extendable flatbed stretch trailer is almost 43,000 pounds. The length of a flatbed stretch type trailer is approximately 48 ft. to 80 ft., the maximum width is 8.5 ft. and the maximum height varies from 7 ft. to 8 ft.
A keen awareness of the types of trailers with the uses they’re suited to be essential for you, especially when you’re about to invest in a trailer for commercial purposes. Knowing the advantages of each allows you to decide which would be best suited for your needs.