Sciatica nerve pain: 5 best natural remedies, exercises and foods you need to take care of
Have you ever experienced a debilitating shooting pain in your back? Is the pain making you difficult even to get off the couch? Yes! Fret not! You might be suffering from sciatic pain. Sciatic is the largest nerve in the human body which runs through the buttocks, legs, hips, and feet on both the sides of the leg. When more pressure is exerted on the back, it can cause many health issues like severe pain, making it so hard for you to perform daily chores. The intensity of the pain differs from person to person.
The doctors will treat sciatic pain with anti-inflammatories and OTC medicines to ease the symptoms. Buy OTC medicines online from any trusted online pharmacy store and get your medicines delivered directly to your doorstep. Here, we will explain to you about a few natural remedies, exercises and anti-inflammatory diets which, when followed can alleviate your sciatic nerve pain. So, read on and find out how to combat sciatic pain.
Causes of sciatic pain:
Most often the sciatic nerve pain is caused by lumbar disc herniation which can compress the nerve causing more agony to the sciatic nerve. Here is a list of a few other common causes of sciatic nerve pain
- Internal bleeding
- Inflamed lumbar spine
- Bony growth
- Piriformis syndrome
Symptoms of sciatic pain:
A few common symptoms seen among individuals who suffer from sciatic pain include:
- Burning sensation or tingling, pain down the leg
- Hip pain
- Pain around the buttocks
- Difficulty while sitting, standing or walking
- Lower back pain
- Numbness and weakness to move the foot or legs
Natural remedies to ease sciatic pain:
If you are suffering from sciatica pain, try initially a few below-mentioned natural remedies to minimize your pain and for a speedy recovery. Also, consult your doctor before trying any natural remedies of your own.
- Hot and a cold compress: The combination of hot and a cold compress is one of the proven pain relief methods to treat sciatic nerve pain. Using a cold pack, can reduce inflammation, whereas the hot pack can upsurge your blood flow. So, when you are using hot and cold packs, just alternate it to provide positive results in increasing blood flow and for reducing inflammation.
- Essential oils: Before pushing yourself for surgery, try out essential oil treatment to reduce sciatic nerve pain. Add the below-mentioned essential oils into your daily routine and see amazing benefits.
- Camphor oil
- Vetiver oil
- Lavender oil
- Rosemary oil
- Germanium oil
- Turmeric: The anti-inflammatory property and curcumin in turmeric help in relieving sciatica pain and inflammation. Prepare turmeric milk by adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of hot milk and consume it to boot out sciatica pain or else make a paste of turmeric powder and sesame oil, apply to the affected area and massage it very well.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds have anti-inflammatory properties and if used correctly can get rid of sciatic pain. Add the powdered fenugreek powder in hot milk and keep stirring it till the paste thickens. Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it for a few hours. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this procedure until you notice a change in your sciatic pain.
- Ginger: Ginger is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. Drinking ginger tea twice or thrice daily helps in curtailing sciatic nerve pain naturally.
Best exercises to alleviate sciatic pain:
Below mentioned are a few in-home stretching exercises which are tailored specifically to help you improve sciatic pain symptoms naturally. So, read on to know more about it:
- Forward pigeon pose
- Recycling pigeon pose
- Standing harm-string stretch
- Knee to the opposite shoulder
- Hip-flexor stretch
Check with your physical therapist before beginning any new exercise program. Also, if you feel strain or pain in your back while exercising, stop doing it, consult your doctor immediately and seek his advice. Sometimes adjusting the positions might make you feel better; improve your strength and flexibility.
Foods you can try to get rid of sciatic pain:
Anti-inflammatory diet is needed to combat sciatic pain. Here, are the lists of foods you can try for better health.
- Incorporate omega-3 fatty acids rich foods in your diet. Consume halibut, salmon and add nuts like Brazilian nuts, cashew nuts in your diet.
- Make your plate more colourful by adding vegetables, fruits and fibre rich foods in your diet to avoid constipation
- Ensure to keep B- vitamins like Vitamin B6, B9 and B12 in check to avoid inflammation. Include green leafy vegetables, banana, and green peas in your diet. If you cannot meet the daily recommended dosage, consult your health care provider and get the multi vitamin supplements prescribed by him to meet the daily intake of B vitamins. Buy your prescription medicines from the best online medicine companies in India.
- Intake of potassium and magnesium-rich foods can alleviate sciatic pain. So, consider subsuming food sources such as bananas, brown rice, apricots, potatoes, mushrooms, avocados, cantaloupes, and nuts in your diets.
- Drinking 8 large glasses or 3 litres of water every day will help you to stay away from back pain.
The remedies, foods and exercises mentioned above will help to ease and cure sciatica pain naturally. However, if you have severe or unbearable pain, book an appointment to contact your doctor immediately.